Many people are familiar with tricycles and their characteristics, however most will associate tricycles with children or younger age groups.
The reality is that adult tricycles are actually becoming increasingly popular, and many riders are discovering the benefits of switching from the traditional two-wheeled bicycle.
Why are so many people choosing to make the switch over to tricycle riding?
There are a number of unique characteristics and advantages that the bicycles three-wheeled counterpart has to offer.
Things like stability, comfort, safety, incline climbing abilities are among the most significant factors that give tricycles a competitive edge.
It is important to be well educated in regards to the adult tricycle industry, what is available, and what features matter most.
In this buying guide we will be presenting five of the best adult tricycles available on the market today, as well as discussing some of the more frequently asked questions that consumers are asking.
Best Adult Tricycles – Reviews & Buying guide for 2022
Best Overall: Schwinn Meridian Adult Tricycle
Check out the Schwinn Meridian Adult Tricycle if you enjoy biking in the great outdoors but need more stability than a regular bike can provide.
This stylish cruiser trike for adults has a three-wheeled design that gives you greater stability and balance. Meanwhile, the wide and upright handlebars make it easier to sit comfortably and ensure a safer ride. Its adjustable and padded extra-large elastomer cruiser saddle expertly absorbs shock from irregularities and bumps on the road and reduces impact.
Its low, stand-over frame enables convenient step-through access and allows you to hop on and off the bike easily. Moreover, the trike’s high-quality aluminum frame makes it more durable and long-lasting.
The tricycle also has a single-speed drivetrain for greater ease of use and lower maintenance. Its linear-pull brake on the front and expander brake on the rear help you stop smoothly and intuitively. It also has fenders on the front and back to ensure your outfit stays clean and dry even in wet and slushy road conditions.
The trike is also fitted with a folding basket on the rear. This gives you ample space to carry cargo like your bags and other travel essentials. It also comes in unique colors like black cherry, dark silver, periwinkle, and slate blue. So you can choose one that suits your style. The trike includes a limited lifetime warranty.
With its various features and comfort, it is probably one of our list’s best tricycles for adults.
- Size: 73 pounds
- Color: Black
- Material: Aluminum
- The trike offers increased stability and balance for riding on rugged terrain.
- Its handlebars are wide and upright, ensuring better riding posture and greater comfort and safety.
- The extra-large adjustable elastomer saddle is padded to help absorb shock from the road.
- The durable stand-over aluminum frame is low to help you get on and off the trike quickly and easily.
- The rear folding basket offers ample room to store and transport your luggage.
- The front linear-pull brake and rear expander brake ensure intuitive stopping power.
- The front and back fenders keep your clothes clean in all road conditions.
- Assembling the trike is difficult and takes a lot of time.
- Many users have reported that the rear wheels are not sturdy and durable.
- The fenders are flimsy and tend to grind against the wheels.
- The seat is a little narrower than other extra-large seats.
- It takes cyclists some time to get used to riding a trike.
Runner-Up: Schwinn Meridian
The Schwinn Meridian adult tricycle has been designed with a set of 26-inch wheels, which can be swapped for a set of 24-inch wheels if desired.
This bike provides a comfortable ride for those 5’4″ to 6’2″ in height.
This adult tricycle features a single speed drivetrain that is easy to use and even easier for rider’s to maintain.
The Schwinn Meridian is designed with linear-pull brakes which are proven to deliver smooth and intuitive stopping so that rider’s can feel safe while operating.
This model features both front and rear fenders which are designed to help reduce the amount of splash-up from wet surfaces, in order to keep clothing clean in damp weather, as well as helping to stop any snags or tears.
The extra wide upright handlebars serve to provide a stable, balanced ride, while the adjustable, padded cruiser saddle provides shock absorption when riding through bumpy terrain.
Finally, the super low, stand-over and step-through aluminum frame allows riders to have easy step-through access when mounting and dismounting.
This product includes a limited lifetime warranty for as long as you own the bike!
The Schwinn Meridian trike is another one of our contenders for the best adult tricycle. This full-sized tricycle for adults is perfect for those who want to enjoy the outdoors.
The Schwinn Meridian features a stylish three-wheeled design that serves to provide riders with more stability than a traditional bicycle.
This model also features a step-through aluminum frame which provides a low stand over height, which makes mounting and dismounting much easier for riders of all ages.
This tricycle model offers the ability to choose between a single speed and a 7-speed drivetrain, a front linear pull brake, and a rear expander brake to ensure high quality stopping power and a safe, simple riding experience.
In addition, the Schwinn Meridian adult tricycle features a design that promotes an upright riding position as well as an extra-large elastomer saddle, to make sure rider’s have an enjoyable experience.
Another one of the perks that this model offers is the extra large rear folding basket that has plenty of room for storing things like baggage, groceries, equipment etc..
It is important to note however that this basket is not suitable for children, pets or other passengers.
Overall, the Schwinn Meridian adult tricycle is definitely a high quality option to consider for customers in the market.
- Size: 76 x 31 x 40 inches – 73 pounds assembled
- Color: Burgundy, Black, Blue
- Material: Aluminum
- Customers can choose between 24 inch and 26 inch wheels
- Customers can choose between a 1-speed and 7-speed drivetrain depending on their preference and skill level
- Linear-pull brakes for smooth and intuitive stopping mechanics
- Wide set upright handlebars for maximum stability and balance
- Stand-over, step-through frame promotes seamless mounting and dismounting
- Suitable for a wide range of rider sizes (5’4” – 6’2”)
- Limited lifetime warranty included
- Rear basket for extra storage included
- Reports of issues with bike seat/saddle coming loose
- Assembly has been reported to be somewhat difficult and time consuming
- Bearings did not come properly adjusted (too tight)
- Reports of bent rear axle upon delivery
- Instructions for assembly are too general and not model specific
- Weight distribution is front heavy
- Reports of inconsistent and unstable steering in some cases
- Basket may add too much extra weight
The SLSY is one of the best adult tricycles on the market and is designed with a number of high quality features.
This model has 7 speeds and also has multiple wheel sizes available for prospective customers to choose from – 20″ wheels, 24” wheels and 26”, all of which feature full wrap fenders.
SLSY Adults Tricycles come equipped with assembly tools, water bottle cage, rear basket user manual and more.
The design features a well made, extra sturdy steel construction system that supports a rider weight capacity of up to 350 pounds.
The intuitive 3 wheel design provides the assurance that users will always have a consistently smooth and simple ride.
The SLSY adult tricycle features a large rear basket for extra space and convenient storage capabilities.
This adult tricycle comes with a satisfaction guarantee from the manufacturer as well as a one-year warranty that covers replacements on all defective or damaged parts.
On top of these warranties, there is a standard 30-day return and money back guarantee on all tricycle purchases.
The SLSY adult tricycle takes the fun of riding a bike and merges it with safety and stability for adults of all ages to take advantage of.
This model features a high quality 7 speed Shimano derailleur, which trumps a number of other adult tricycles that are limited to 1 speed drivetrains.
This provides the ability for riders to maneuver different styles of terrain with comfort and have more control taking on different slope inclines while riding through hilly areas.
The SLSY adult three wheeler features an extra tough and durable steel frame, instead of the less sturdy aluminum frame that many trikes are typically built with.
Although it does make the tricycle noticeably heavier overall, this extra weight also supports a much higher rider weight capacity of approximately 350 pounds.
The SLSY adult tricycle offers customers the ability to choose between three different wheel sizes (20 inch, 24 inch and 26 inch), each of which are best suited for a different height range.
This model has a particularly comfortable saddle with an adjustable backrest, and features an extra large basket that sits nicely in between the two back wheels without causing interference.
The rear basket provides convenient storage and is perfect for shopping trips, picnics and so much more (not suitable for children, pets or other passengers).
Finally, one of the most unique features is that this adult tricycle can in fact be folded for compact storing and transportation.
- Size: Variable
- Color: Variable
- Material: Steel
- Provides multiple wheel size options for a range of rider height/sizes
- Sturdy steel frame provides stability and allows for extra rider weight capacity
- Equipped with rear basket for convenient storage and other uses
- 7 speed transmission provides more control over speed and climbing ability
- Can be folded to promote compact storage and allow for transportation
- Part replacement manufacturer warranties and money back guarantee included
- Features an adjustable saddle backrest for extra comfort
- Customer service is effective and efficient
- Brakes are not as effective and responsive as other adult tricycle models
- Steel frame adds a significant amount of weight to the tricycle – harder to maneuver, less suitable for smaller individuals
- Assembly has been reported to be difficult and time consuming
- Difficulties adjusting brakes and derailers
- A number of adjustments may be necessary upon assembly
- Reports of issues with handlebar grips stripping
Alternative: Mobo Triton Pro
The Mobo Triton Pro beach cruise is a 3 wheel recumbent tricycle that is regarded as a high quality product within its industry.
This adult tricycle features a heavy duty adjustable (extendable) frame made out of hi-tensile steel, as well as caliper hand brakes and a chainless design.
This model is suitable for a wide range of rider sizes anywhere from 4 feet 2 inches in height to 6 feet 3 inches tall, with a carrying capacity of up to 250 pounds.
The Mobo Triton Pro features a reclined seat and is designed with dual-joystick steering mechanics.
This model has overall dimensions of 28 inches in width, 29 inches in height, and 48 inches in length (61 inches extended).
The Mobo beach cruiser comes equipped with variable size wheels – 20 inch front wheel and 16 inch rear wheels.
This model is significantly lighter weight than many other adult tricycle options, weighing in at only 44 pounds.
Mobo Cruiser is a US company with top quality customer support that ensures customer satisfaction and a 100% product guarantee.
The Mobo Triton Pro adult tricycle is a high quality machine that offers a variety of great features and characteristics.
This recumbent beach cruiser tricycle was specifically designed for riders who are looking for a leisurely way to get around, exercise and enjoy the outdoors.
This style of trike is known to be more comfortable than your typical tricycle, as the ergonomic recumbent seat provides cushioned back support and stability.
The Mobo beach cruiser also features a length adjustable frame that allows riders to find their ideal setting based on their preferences. As a result, this trike is suitable for riders that are anywhere from 4 feet to over 6 feet tall.
The maximum rider weight capacity is approximately 250 pounds, which caters to the majority of adults. The low center of gravity design on this three-wheel cruiser provides extra stability, and ensures an easy-riding experience.
No need to be athletic or physically inclined, perfect for people with disabilities and/or physical conditions. This tricycle is equipped with Dual-joystick steering that offers incredibly smooth and simple maneuverability mechanics.
The extra durable, heavy duty frame is constructed of Hi-ten steel. This tricycle cruiser features chainless design, caliper hand brakes, 20 inch front wheel with free-wheel hub, 16 inch rear wheels.
- Size: 28 inches x 29 inches x 48 inches (61 inches extended length)
- Color: Orange
- Material: Steel
- Recumbent cruiser design promotes stability and simplicity
- Hi-tensile steel frame is durable and sturdy
- Chainless design eliminates the need for chain maintenance
- Cushioned seat with backrest promotes comfort
- Adjustable frame length allows riders to find their perfect setting
- Dual-joystick steering for extra control
- May be small for riders over 6 feet
- Turn radius is sub par
- Not legal to ride on the street
- Reports of pedals coming loose and needing adjustments
- Back tires wear down quickly
- Some issues with rear wheel alignment
Alternative: Happybuy Adult Tricycle
If you want a tricycle with appealing features at a reasonable price, consider the Happybuy Adult Tricycle.
This 20-inch single-speed trike has a durable frame made of hi-tensile steel. It can support up to 150 kg of weight, including the combined weight of the rider and the cargo. The trike is durable and resists rust and corrosion.
Its swept-back upright handlebars, smooth-riding tires, and large spring padded saddle offer a high level of comfort, balance, and stability. The cruiser-style saddle also has quick-release height adjustability, allowing you to change its height in seconds.
The ergonomic rubber handle is also adjustable and is equipped with a bell on its right side for extra safety. The front V brake and rear brake also work together to ensure smooth and intuitive stops and offer enhanced protection while riding.
The trike features full wrap fenders that keep you and your clothes clean and dry in all weather and road conditions. Additionally, it has a sizable rear basket that accommodates your storage needs, including groceries, picnic baskets, and camping supplies.
Lastly, the Happybuy Adult Tricycle also comes with detailed instructions.
- Size: 55.3 pounds
- Color: Black
- Material: Hi-tensile steel
- The durable and sturdy hi-tensile steel frame resists rust and corrosion and supports up to 150 kg of weight.
- The swept-back upright handlebars ensure a better riding posture.
- The large cruiser-style spring padded saddle has quick-release height adjustability for easy height adjustments.
- The adjustable rubber handle has a bell on its right side for double safety.
- The dual brake system enables smooth and intuitive stopping for better riding safety.
- The full wrap fenders keep the trike and your clothes clean and dry, even on wet and dirty roads.
- The big basket on the rear fits a good amount of cargo.
- The trike comes with a detailed set of instructions for easy assembly.
- Despite having an instruction manual, the trike takes a lot of time to assemble.
- Sometimes, the package comes with missing parts.
- The basket is fragile and falls off quickly.
Best Adult Tricycles FAQ
What Is The Weight Limit For Adult Tricycles?
The weight limit for adult tricycles tends to vary from model to model, depending on a number of factors including the type of frame, size of the wheels and the overall durability of the tricycle.
Typically, the weight capacity for adult tricycles is somewhere between 250n and 350 pounds.
Is A Tricycle Safer Than Bicycles For Elderly?
Tricycles are inherently safer than bicycles, especially for elderly adults who may not have the same balance and confidence that they once did.
The three wheel design provides more stability than a traditional bicycle, and reduces the chance for it to tip over, flip or otherwise malfunction while riding.
Most tricycles will also provide a lower center of gravity than bicycles, which also contributes to their stability and overall safety.
Tricycles are definitely safer than bicycles for elderly who are looking for a way to get outside and get active, while minimizing the likelihood of injuries.
How Do I Know What Size Adult Tricycle I Need?
The most important aspects to consider when determining the right size of adult tricycle that best suits your needs are the relative length and height of the trike.
It is important to make sure the space between the seat and the pedals is not too big or too small, so that your legs can reach and are comfortable in that position.
It is also important to check the height of the seat from the ground and make sure that you are able to mount and dismount with ease.
Consider these aspects when deciding on what size of adult tricycle is best for you.
In conclusion, we have covered five of the best adult tricycles available on the market today. After careful review of each model and their respective features, we have decided that the Sixthreezero Body Ease trike is our winner, and can be crowned as the best adult tricycle overall.
On top of this comparison, we also answered a few of the more frequently asked questions that arise in the adult tricycle industry.
Take the information we have provided in this buying guide and use it to make an educated decision on which adult tricycle is best suited to your needs.
Last Updated on September 5, 2022 by Editor