A fat bike is not only a bike but an experience. Nothing can beat the expertise and smoothness of a fat bike when it comes to riding rugged terrains, snowy mountains, and sandy topography.
Fat bikes always fill the desirable gaps that a regular cycle fails to provide with its ultimate robust built and suspension patterns.
As an avid rider, having a fat bike will guarantee you a riding partner in all seasons and terrains.
These highly functional bikes can be a great asset to take out on the most demanding trails too, the magic of its functionality lies under the lightweight design and tire structure.
The tires tend to float on the surfaces giving you the grip, push and pull needed for an effortless ride.
With thousands of fat bikes on the market, the process of finding the best fat tire bike can become unnerving.
To help you solve this dilemma of the best fat bikes for the money, we have curated a detailed list of the top five fat bikes on the market.
Best Fat Bike – Reviews & Buying guide for 2021
Best Overall: Rambo KRUSADER Fat Bike
The Rambo KRUSADER is known for its hyper beast features and the first all-wheel-drive e-bike in the hunting arena.
If you love to hunt in the deep woods, this bike is the right riding partner you need for your endeavor.
- Brand: Rambo Bike
- Size: 19″
- Color: TrueTimber Viper Woodland Camo
- Material: Aluminum Alloy 6061
- The Rambo KRUSADER comes equipped with two 500 watt motors, giving 1000 watts of pure power for all types of terrain. The equal distribution of two hub motors in the front and rear makes it power through dirt, dust, snow, hills, and valleys without any interruption. You will often notice most bikes having a single hub motor, but this model shows that you can bring power to play with just one decent buy.
- The bike uses a Panasonic 48V 14.5 AH Lithium-Ion Battery for more standard and reliable battery support. These batteries allow you to seamlessly upgrade to a 21 amp hour battery, giving you a whopping distance of 75 miles.
- The Rambo KRUSADER is one of the quietest bikes on the road because of its single-speed gear drive. While most fat bikes create a disturbing noise, this will give you an ultimate smooth and silent experience while driving. This feature comes as a blessing when you are out in the wild trying to stay as a part of nature and not attract any wild company.
- This fat bike is one of the most reliable and bulletproof bikes on the market. Its strong 6061 aluminum alloy gives you the most rugged exterior without any compromise on the quality.
- Thie bike has powerful, quick working hydraulic brakes along with a full front suspension to give you a comfortable and plush ride with smooth and fast stopping power.
- The high-quality power meter screen gives you an impressive nine levels of power assist. You can easily see and anytime conveniently reduce the power consumption according to your needs.
- The Rambo KRUSADER Fat Bike has a seven gear system to easily control the speed ratio and torque while driving on various demanding terrains.
- Its foldable pedals and quick-release tires give you the unmatched ability for safer transit.
- The TrueTimber Viper Woodland Camo helps you stay camouflaged in nature without drawing a lot of attention.
- This bike can feel a little heavy on the weight department with its 74 lbs total weight. This bike is not the heaviest model on the market but feels a bit heftier than the rest of the models featuring the same specs.
- Its two hub motors are undoubtedly the most striking extra feature of this product.
- The Rambo Bike Company gives you excellent quality add-ons attachments to make your ride even more robust and practical. They have various add-ons, including a hand cart, a bow/gun holder, accessory bag, fishing cart, fender, and much more. You can easily deck up your bike accordingly for a more comfortable venture into the wild.
Suppose you are a serious biker looking for the most ultimate and feature-packed ride. In that case, we highly recommend this double battery, highly undestructive KRUSADER for years’ worth of fun and adventure.
Runner-up: Trek Farley 7 Fat Bike
Our runner-up, the Trek Farley 7 Fat Bike, is an excellent purchase if you wish to own a fat bike that you can use all year round.
The robust mechanics make it a highly versatile and performance-driven bike.
- Brand: Farley
- Size: M 29″
- Color: Roarange
- Material: Alpha Platinum Aluminum
- The ultra-lightweight aluminum frame makes it an idea and rust-free option for people who are always riding in the snow and rain.
- The deluxe yet practical combination of 80mm Manitou Mastodon fork and its wide 4.5″ tires help you charge through any terrain with ultimate power.
- The suspension fork offers greatly enhanced control and excellent traction on most hard surfaces.
- Its sturdy and easy-to-handle adjustable dropouts let the rider fine-tune its handlings according to their requirements.
- Its SRAM Level T brakes provide quick stoppage even during a considerable speed. The 1×12 drivetrain helps you change the gear according to the terrain and climate conditions. Since it’s an all-season bike, you will need the 1×12 drivetrain for various environmental conditions and ground surfaces.
- If you are a newbie rider and feel the 1×12 drivetrain a little too intense for your liking, you have the option to add a front derailleur for riding accordingly.
- Many users have noticed that the bike is hefty. It would help if you had a little time to get used to the bike’s weight.
- One can instantly spot the bright color of this bike which is highly unsuitable for hunting activities.
Farley 7’s Bontrager Gnarwhal TLR tires can be easily studded to add additional grip and traction, primarily if you reside in an icy or snow-dominant region.
We suggest these bikes for riders who wish to own an all-season high suspension bike. It offers tremendous performance irrespective of the climate. It works especially flawlessly on snow.
Alternative: QuietKat Warrior Fat Bike
QuietKat Warrior is one of the most leading biker brands globally and continues to rule the market with its fine quality and intense features.
The constant changes in the models keep giving their fat bikes an advanced edge with every update.
- Brand: QuietKat
- Size: 19″
- Color: Camo
- Material: Aluminum alloy
- The completely new 2021 Warrior features a high-intensity integrated 11.6ah/48V battery and a 1000W Mid-Drive motor system topped with a very sharp frame geometry that aims at equal weight distribution.
- The highly adjustable dropouts make it comparatively easy to adjust your wheelbase; it also helps you try the single-speed drive train for a more simple and power-consuming driving experience.
- The high-quality coil suspension and mechanical disc brakes encourage the riders to travel the bumpiest and steep slopes without the worry of falling or getting dragged.
- The QuietKat Warrior Fat Bike is built with an SRAM 8-speed drivetrain which helps you prepare your bike for steep descents and ascents without pressuring the gears.
- This bike is fitted with durable 26″ x 4.5″ tires to tackle any rocky path or trail. The tires are meant to last for a long time, even if they get regularly beaten with harsh environmental elements.
- The mileage of the Warrior can vary according to the rider’s weight and terrain level, but this e-bike has an average range of 30-60 miles in eco-pedal assist mode.
- The QuietKat Warrior Fat Bike comes with the color options of veil Poseidon dry camo, charcoal, and sandstone.
- This fat bike doesn’t feel like a regular small bike but looks and feels akin to a motorcycle.
- While the physical size wouldn’t pose an issue for male rides with a big built, it will indeed feel a little overwhelming for people with a tiny or medium body frame.
Apart from the 17″ and 19″ frame classification, the company sells three kits named Angler’s Kit for hitting a stream or lake, the overland kit for exploring and living the wildlife, and the ultimate hunter kit for a smooth and productive hunting experience.
If you wish to enjoy a decent motor with average battery life, this product can be your next best purchase. In addition, the company lets you choose a 17″ or 19″ frame according to your preference.
Alternative: EMOJO Wildcat Fat Bike
Our second alternative is the EMOJO Wildcat Fat Bike that gives all the necessary features and specs on a comparatively lower budget. Let us go through all the outstanding elements to help you get a clearer picture.
- Brand: EMOJO Wildcat
- Size: 78″ L x 25″ W x 43″ H
- Color: Black
- Material: Alloy frame
- This fat bike has a powerful 48V battery and a 500W DC brushless Bafang motor. The 48-volt battery gives you a decent range of up to 25 miles. The battery needs 4-6 hours to charge completely. The battery is also housed in a waterproof casing which diligently protects it from all the elements.
- The LCD offers a great backlight which can help you see the bike’s status even in the sunniest climate.
- Its big Tektro disc brakes provide excellent stopping power in all conditions, keeping you safe from all potential speed dangers.
- This EMOJO Wildcat Fat Bike has a 7-speed gear system that helps you control the bike according to various terrains and topographical settings.
- This e-bike has 26″ rims and 4″ wide fat tires covering more distance in lesser time. The thick tires make it possible for the rider to jump from an incline or a curb without damaging the bike to the slightest.
- This bike is comparatively cheaper and surely wins under the best fat bikes under 2000.
- The e-bike can take an impressive load capacity of 330 Lbs, so people with a heavy physique can also enjoy the smooth ride of the EMOJO Wildcat Fat Bike without any effort.
- Despite the price, you can use this bike in three levels- pedal only, pedal assist, and a full-throttle mode, just like all the expensive ones.
- The bike does not have suspension, which can make your ride a little uncomfortable on rough roads, especially on the downhill. A few users have noticed a minor traction issue while braking or cornering.
The USB charging port has to be an impressive extra feature of this fat bike. As many riders feel the need to carry their phone to capture the beauty of nature, this convenient USB port works perfectly to charge their devices.
This bicycle is one of the best affordable fat-tire bikes on the market. This model can prove to be a great buy if you are on a tighter budget.
Alternative: QuietKat Apex Fat Bike
Our last but surely not least is the QuietKat Apex Fat Bike. This impressive bike has a lot more features to offer than regular bikes and has the quietest motor.
Let us go through the elements to look at the specs in detail.
- Brand: QuietKat
- Size: 19″
- Color: Camo
- Material: Aluminum
- The Quietkat Apex fat bike is one of the fastest bikes in the industry. The cycle uses a 1000W Bafang mid-drive motor to turn up the incredible torque to help the bicycle reach 25 mph.
- The motor of this beast is very silent and doesn’t make a lot of noise. It is safe to say that this fat bike is ideal as a hunting bike.
- This bike can very easily travel a whopping 45 miles with a single charge.
- The fat bike has 4-Piston Hydraulic Brakes on the back and the front for extreme stopping power.
- The Mozo Air suspension provides a confident and smooth ride. This full-suspension fat bike pairs excellent with the hydraulic brakes to give extreme efficiency and control even on the roughest terrain.
- The 4.5″ thick tires help you stay stable on the roughest grounds and terrain without getting a single puncture.
- The bike has an SRAM 9-speed drivetrain which works flawlessly for riding all the steep hills and rough terrains.
- Since the bike is significantly big, it needs a rider of at least 6’2″ to hold the top bar proficiently.
- You will need to shell out a lot of coins as this particular model is extremely pricey.
This model allows you to switch to a 29″ tire set. The bike also can go for a medium to a large frame from 17″ to 19″ as per the rider’s convenience.
We highly recommend this model if you have a higher budget to spend. If you are worried about the specs, let us assure you that the features justify the price.
Fat Bike FAQ
Are fat bikes better?
The times are of emerging and diminishing trends. The consumerist tendencies within us will drive us towards things that have a greater appeal in the market today.
And so has emerged the trend of riding fat-tire bikes. Fat tire bikes are not a recent invention. They have been in the market for a very long time but have registered a greater appeal in recent times.
However, with the tremendous popularity of the fat tire bikes, there emerges a section of supporters and the not-so supporters. But if we are to list the pros of riding a fat tire bike, what will they be?
The most primary advantage of riding a fat tire bike is the surface area provided by the tires.
It enables the tires to have a better grip of the surface they are on and thus makes them suitable to ride through different terrains. In the case of sleek tires, one has the risk of skidding.
Therefore, the fat tires provide you a mega grip over rocky, muddy, snowy trails. Moreover, by providing a more excellent contact surface, they reduce the pressure and thus enable smooth transit.
Furthermore, the volume of the tires helps them to absorb shocks and therefore exert minor damage on the bike and the biker.
The extra surface of the bike also means a more outstanding balance and fewer chances of falling and getting oneself injured.
Fat tire bikes also display an incredible resilience to weather adversities. Fat tire bikes are excellent sporting and adventure bikes.
They are designed to perform in harsh conditions, thus requiring little investment in maintenance compared to regular bikes.
Overall, fat-tire bikes will provide you a good gear ratio and sturdy frame for smooth operation.
Are fat bikes harder to ride?
The fat-tire bikes, by their appearance, seem like these gigantic machines that need to be operated by a hulk-like human.
In general, however, it is not wise to go by the generalization based on the appearance of the bikes but rather by your suitability and compatibility.
On the contrary to the general belief, fat-tire bikes provide a much more convenient ride to the biker.
They have a more excellent contact surface and grip mechanism, which means more balance and less pressure on the pedal.
As a result, it is easier to navigate through the odd terrains and has a smooth ride.
Moreover, it is a much more sturdy gear than the regular bikes that could have a flimsy frame and risk developing back and neck issues.
Indeed, by their weight, fat-tire bikes require a decent physique and stamina to manage the same. Thus, an average biker might find it a little challenging to operate in the initial phase.
But with adaptation and consistency, riding a fat tire bike should not be a mountain climbing task.
Can you ride a fat tire bike on the pavement?
One of the key USPs of a fat tire bike is its versatility and adaptability on multiple terrains. Thus, a simple answer to the question would be: Yes, fat-tire cycles could also exhibit a decent performance on pavements.
Of course, it isn’t easy to expect that these bikes will provide you speed as with the more sleek shape tire bikes that flow effortlessly through the smooth pavement surfaces.
That is, however, in the design of fat-tire bikes. They are made for greater adventures like the rocky or the more challenging terrains.
They provide grip and a slow yet sturdy journey. They are not designed for fast travel, but that does not negate their use on the more humble surfaces.
There are bikes specially designed for urban commute, but it is not feasible to have an array of bikes for different purposes.
Thus, the best bet is to keep a bike that can sustain you on maximum occasions, and fat-tire bikes provide that. They are sturdy and offer a decent balance.
Moreover, the greater contact surface exerts less pressure on the surface and thus should not be too demanding on the pavements.
More importantly, if you happen to stay in a place with unpredictable weather conditions, keeping an all-weather and study transport vehicle is way more beneficial.
Are fat bikes good for beginners?
Fat bikes might come across as intimidating pieces of equipment, but fat bikes could be considered beginner-friendly with the proper guidance and choosing the right fat tire bike for oneself.
As with all bikes, fat tire bikes are not a homogeneous group of vehicles. There are frames and additional customizations available for different bikers, depending on their preferences.
Firstly, your choice of how ‘fat you want your tires to be is crucial. Now that you have decided to embark on the fat tire journey, choosing the right size is essential.
Some might prefer to start slow with not a very big size, while others could choose a big size to train themselves.
In all cases, experiment with different sizes available in the market and see what best fits you. In case you feel like switching to broader tires in the later stages, that is also possible.
Secondly, decide whether you want to opt for bikes with or without suspension.
While fat tire bikes are also designed to display the properties of the suspension system, you might want to have external installations as in regular bikes.
As you step out on your beginner trails, a wise step would be to take it slow and steady. Start by experiencing your ride on the not-so-extreme terrains.
Take your bikes on smooth surfaces, understand the mechanics of your bike, its operation, and gradually take the ride to the more challenging terrains.
Adapting to riding on a fat tire bike is neither impossible nor quick. Adjusting and getting comfortable with the brakes and gear operations will ensure you are super ready to take your bike out onto the adventurous terrains.
We hope our article for the best fat tire bikes was helpful enough to decide your next big purchase.
If you can spend a lot of money, definitely go with the higher-end bikes, and if you do not wish to, the budget fat bikes can be an excellent option.
Last Updated on July 19, 2021 by Matthew Carpenter