A fat bike is not only a bike but an experience. Nothing can beat the expertise and smoothness of a fat bike when it comes to riding rugged terrains, snowy mountains, and sandy topography.
Fat bikes always fill the desirable gaps that a regular cycle fails to provide with its ultimate robust built and suspension patterns.
As an avid rider, having a fat bike will guarantee you a riding partner in all seasons and terrains.
These highly functional bikes can be a great asset to take out on the most demanding trails too, the magic of its functionality lies under the lightweight design and tire structure.
The tires tend to float on the surfaces giving you the grip, push and pull needed for an effortless ride.
With thousands of fat bikes on the market, the process of finding the best fat tire bike can become unnerving.
To help you solve this dilemma of the best fat bikes for the money, we have curated a detailed list of the top five fat bikes on the market.
Best Fat Bike – Reviews & Buying guide for 2021
Best Overall: Mongoose Dolomite Men’s Fat Tire Mountain Bike
Our top pick is the Mongoose Dolomite Men’s Fat Tire Mountain Bike. This full-sized mountain bike allows you to ride on various off-road trails in comfort and flair while being economical. Like other Mongoose bikes, it features a robust steel frame that makes it highly durable.
- Brand: Mongoose
- Size: 17”
- Color: Light blue, navy blue, and red
- Material: Steel
- This MTB offers you a smooth and comfy ride on not only mountain trails but also mud, dirt, or snow. You can even take it for a spin around the city, as it works well on flat surfaces.
- It has wide and knobby all-terrain 26-inch wheels and a rear derailleur with seven speeds that make climbing inclines easy.
- Its twist shifters help you change gears smoothly and efficiently while riding, making it great for mountain biking.
- It has sturdy yet lightweight alloy rims that keep the weight low compared to most MTBs.
- Its beach cruiser pedals and front and back disc brakes provide a high level of safety while riding.
- It has a robust and durable design.
- The bike comes in many attractive colors to suit your style.
- Its price is affordable.
- You can quickly assemble it.
- The company offers a limited lifetime warranty with this mountain bike. So reach out to them if you have any concerns or issues while using it.
- The saddle is not great for long distances.
- The bike is slightly heavy, so you cannot easily transport it.
- It needs a better grip.
- It is not great for riding on sand.
- You can easily adjust the bike’s threadless headset to suit your height. Consequently, it provides greater riding comfort for riders of different heights.
If you enjoy riding on various terrains, particularly off-road paths like mountains, snow, dirt, and so on, this mountain bike is an excellent choice. It’s also ideal for biking about town. So you may ride it to work or classes, or simply ride around your neighborhood to get some exercise and enjoy the joys of riding.
Runner-up: Mongoose Malus Adult Fat Tire Mountain Bike
Another classic mountain bike from Mongoose, the Malus Adult Fat Tire Mountain Bike features a mountain-style solid steel frame with fat, knobby tires. These tires are powerful enough to smoothly glide over rough terrain like mountain trails. You can also comfortably ride on dirt, gravel, sand, and snow on this bike.
- Brand: Mongoose
- Size: 18”
- Color: Tan, matte black, silver and black, and silver and red
- Material: Steel
- This mountain bike with 26-inch wheels and 4-inch wide mountain tires offers plenty of clearance to ride across all surfaces. So you can easily ride on rough terrain as you can on smooth pavements.
- Its seven-speed twist shifter and rear derailleur help you change gears smoothly and precisely.
- The mechanical disc brakes on the front and rear help you stop quickly, giving you superior speed control.
- This high-performance bike also has lightweight yet strong alloy rims to provide greater stability at high speeds.
- It features a mountain-style handlebar and an alloy a-head stem. Together, they offer greater control when riding in the mountains or woods.
- The bike comes in a wide range of colors.
- It is a good budget bike.
- You can assemble it quite easily.
- The bike has a limited lifetime warranty to help you resolve any issues after you purchase it.
- It is not highly durable and may break after some years.
- The seat does not have enough padding for long, high-intensity rides.
- The bike does not have any extra features or highlights, but that does not detract from its many benefits.
This mountain bike is perfect for riding in the mountains and woods, as well as on city streets, dirt tracks, snow, and the beach. If you’re an avid biker who travels with your bike, this one will meet your riding needs without breaking the bank.
Alternative: Max4out Fat Tire Mountain Bike
As its name indicates, the Max4out Fat Tire Mountain Bike and Normal Tire Mountain Bike come with fat and regular tires. So you can buy a variant that suits your riding style and needs.
If you travel over rough, uneven terrain, the fat tires may be ideal for you. Choose the normal tire variant if you ride on smooth roads.
This mountain bike also has many other interesting features that you might enjoy.
- Brand: Max4out
- Size: Not known
- Color: Black, white, and orange
- Material: Carbon steel
- This all-terrain mountain bike features an ergonomic and high frame made of carbon steel. This material gives it good durability and strength and makes it affordable.
- The high-performance MTB has 21-speed shifters with a Shimano rear derailleur to help you ride fast like the wind and smoothly navigate off-road trails. This feature also allows you to accurately change your speed and save your energy for riding on steep inclines.
- The alloy linear pull-brakes on the front and rear help you stop precisely and fast.
- Meanwhile, the four-inch fat tires offer five times more wear resistance than regular bike tires. Their anti-slip design also provides a firm grip that helps you ride securely on any surface or incline, including off-road trails and urban roads.
- The alloy rims on the 26-inch wheels provide lightweight strength for better speed stability and biking performance.
- The company also provides all the tools you’ll need to assemble and maintain the bike. It also comes with an installation video that guides you through the assembly process and speeds it up.
- Many users have reported that the bike components are not long-lasting.
- The bike is fitted with a shock-absorbing front fork and thickened outer wall, making it more resistant to impact from bumps or irregularities in the terrain. This improves riding comfort and helps you cross hills with ease.
This bike is a decent option if you’re looking for a low-priced bike with a durable frame and greater riding control on off-road trails. However, its parts may need replacement occasionally. Nonetheless, it includes a slew of unique additional features and benefits that make it well worth your time and money.
Alternative: VELOWAVE Electric Bike Adults
Our next best choice is the VELOWAVE Electric Bike Adults. This electric bike is fitted with 26-inch fat tires to meet all your riding needs. It also features a 750W robust BAFANG motor and a Shimano seven-speed rear gear that delivers enough power to propel your rides up to 28 mph.
The motor has a long lifespan and requires little maintenance. So you can enjoy riding this bike for years.
- Brand: VELOWAVE
- Size: 18”
- Color: Black and silver
- Material: Aluminum
- The electric bike has a large-capacity waterproof and removable lithium-ion battery of 48V 15AH LG cells. It charges quickly within four hours and helps you cover a distance of 25 to 40 miles on a single charge.
- It features three riding modes—pure electric mode, classic bike mode, and pedal-assist mode. You can choose your mode depending on the riding surface and your needs.
- You can ride this bike on city roads, rugged mountain roads, snow, or sand.
- It has a torque of 80Nm that allows you to ride on all terrains.
- Its adjustable aluminum alloy hydraulic front fork absorbs shocks well and increases stability.
- The dual hydraulic disc braking system improves your safety with its precise stopping power.
- The bike resists wear and offers superior grip and slip resistance.
- It has a one-handed control design.
- Its multifunctional color screen LCD shows speed data, battery level, mileage, and assist level. The display has a backlight feature that precisely reads even at night.
- The bright headlights of the bike increase safety for night riding.
- It includes a kickstand.
- The bike is easy to install.
- It comes with a one-year warranty.
- The company offers excellent customer service.
- The tires can be quite easily punctured.
- The bike has two-step safety locks to keep the battery safe while riding.
This one is our top recommendation if you want an electric mountain bike with decent battery life and torque.
Alternative: Mukkpet Folding Electric Bike
This folding electric bike can easily fit into narrow spaces like a car’s backseat. This makes it portable and convenient to carry across long distances.
- Brand: Mukkpet
- Size: 18”
- Color: Black
- Material: Aluminum
- The bike has a step-over aluminum alloy frame that contributes to its sturdiness.
- Its powerful 500W brushless, strong-geared motor and seven-speed changeable gear deliver a maximum speed of 22 mph.
- The 48V, 13Ah lithium removable battery reaches a range of 40 to 60 miles on a single charge.
- The all-terrain fat tires provide a good grip and help you ride on various surfaces.
- This electric bike has a shock-absorbing front fork and seat post to enhance riding comfort.
- Its double disc braking system shortens the braking distance and increases riding safety.
- It is easy to assemble.
- It includes a one-year warranty.
- The bike has a heavy battery that can be difficult to remove.
- The battery comes with BMS protection that increases its safety and life.
It is an excellent folding e-bike that you can transport easily. You can also cover a good amount of distance on battery power alone.
Fat Bike FAQ
Are fat bikes better?
The times are of emerging and diminishing trends. The consumerist tendencies within us will drive us towards things that have a greater appeal in the market today.
And so has emerged the trend of riding fat-tire bikes. Fat tire bikes are not a recent invention. They have been in the market for a very long time but have registered a greater appeal in recent times.
However, with the tremendous popularity of the fat tire bikes, there emerges a section of supporters and the not-so supporters. But if we are to list the pros of riding a fat tire bike, what will they be?
The most primary advantage of riding a fat tire bike is the surface area provided by the tires.
It enables the tires to have a better grip of the surface they are on and thus makes them suitable to ride through different terrains. In the case of sleek tires, one has the risk of skidding.
Therefore, the fat tires provide you a mega grip over rocky, muddy, snowy trails. Moreover, by providing a more excellent contact surface, they reduce the pressure and thus enable smooth transit.
Furthermore, the volume of the tires helps them to absorb shocks and therefore exert minor damage on the bike and the biker.
The extra surface of the bike also means a more outstanding balance and fewer chances of falling and getting oneself injured.
Fat tire bikes also display an incredible resilience to weather adversities. Fat tire bikes are excellent sporting and adventure bikes.
They are designed to perform in harsh conditions, thus requiring little investment in maintenance compared to regular bikes.
Overall, fat-tire bikes will provide you a good gear ratio and sturdy frame for smooth operation.
Are fat bikes harder to ride?
The fat-tire bikes, by their appearance, seem like these gigantic machines that need to be operated by a hulk-like human.
In general, however, it is not wise to go by the generalization based on the appearance of the bikes but rather by your suitability and compatibility.
On the contrary to the general belief, fat-tire bikes provide a much more convenient ride to the biker.
They have a more excellent contact surface and grip mechanism, which means more balance and less pressure on the pedal.
As a result, it is easier to navigate through the odd terrains and has a smooth ride.
Moreover, it is a much more sturdy gear than the regular bikes that could have a flimsy frame and risk developing back and neck issues.
Indeed, by their weight, fat-tire bikes require a decent physique and stamina to manage the same. Thus, an average biker might find it a little challenging to operate in the initial phase.
But with adaptation and consistency, riding a fat tire bike should not be a mountain climbing task.
Can you ride a fat tire bike on the pavement?
One of the key USPs of a fat tire bike is its versatility and adaptability on multiple terrains. Thus, a simple answer to the question would be: Yes, fat-tire cycles could also exhibit a decent performance on pavements.
Of course, it isn’t easy to expect that these bikes will provide you speed as with the more sleek shape tire bikes that flow effortlessly through the smooth pavement surfaces.
That is, however, in the design of fat-tire bikes. They are made for greater adventures like the rocky or the more challenging terrains.
They provide grip and a slow yet sturdy journey. They are not designed for fast travel, but that does not negate their use on the more humble surfaces.
There are bikes specially designed for urban commute, but it is not feasible to have an array of bikes for different purposes.
Thus, the best bet is to keep a bike that can sustain you on maximum occasions, and fat-tire bikes provide that. They are sturdy and offer a decent balance.
Moreover, the greater contact surface exerts less pressure on the surface and thus should not be too demanding on the pavements.
More importantly, if you happen to stay in a place with unpredictable weather conditions, keeping an all-weather and study transport vehicle is way more beneficial.
Are fat bikes good for beginners?
Fat bikes might come across as intimidating pieces of equipment, but fat bikes could be considered beginner-friendly with the proper guidance and choosing the right fat tire bike for oneself.
As with all bikes, fat tire bikes are not a homogeneous group of vehicles. There are frames and additional customizations available for different bikers, depending on their preferences.
Firstly, your choice of how ‘fat you want your tires to be is crucial. Now that you have decided to embark on the fat tire journey, choosing the right size is essential.
Some might prefer to start slow with not a very big size, while others could choose a big size to train themselves.
In all cases, experiment with different sizes available in the market and see what best fits you. In case you feel like switching to broader tires in the later stages, that is also possible.
Secondly, decide whether you want to opt for bikes with or without suspension.
While fat tire bikes are also designed to display the properties of the suspension system, you might want to have external installations as in regular bikes.
As you step out on your beginner trails, a wise step would be to take it slow and steady. Start by experiencing your ride on the not-so-extreme terrains.
Take your bikes on smooth surfaces, understand the mechanics of your bike, its operation, and gradually take the ride to the more challenging terrains.
Adapting to riding on a fat tire bike is neither impossible nor quick. Adjusting and getting comfortable with the brakes and gear operations will ensure you are super ready to take your bike out onto the adventurous terrains.
We hope our article for the best fat tire bikes was helpful enough to decide your next big purchase.
If you can spend a lot of money, definitely go with the higher-end bikes, and if you do not wish to, the budget fat bikes can be an excellent option.
Last Updated on July 28, 2023 by Danijel Cakalic